Monday, January 16, 2006

Blessings Dr. King...we Love You

the only thing we have to fear is fear itself

Today I have the day off for Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday -- the first time I've ever had this day off from work with pay. I have spent the day listening to public radio which included a full hour of the last speech King gave before being assassinated and many smaller snippets of news telling how people have been celebrating the day.

And it feels meaningful. I wish more people had this day off. I wish more workplaces would honor this holiday.

Meanwhile, about his famous quote I used as the title here... ain't it the truth? When I think of my country and how we've been for the last four-and-a-half years, I think of how many of our actions, reactions, and decisions have been fear-inspired.

I wish more than anything we -- meaning the world -- would have a visionary like King walking in our midst again.

No comments: