Sunday, April 07, 2002

The tips are still quietly buzzing

Looking up SLO Town links to see where Emdot fits in the Google Scheme of Things (number two, thank you very much), I came across some Weird Al Yankovich SLO Town lyrics. I haven't heard the song, but the words are good enough.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Two of my best friends and favorite people on the planet have blogs nowadays. These two should meet. Carrie, Carsten. Carsten, Carrie. ;)

Carsten makes me believe in soulmates. Or maybe that there are so many wonderful people to connect with out there. Our correspondence (if ever condensed) could be boiled down to a virtual Me-Too Fest. He lives in Berlin, before that Montreal, before that a suburb of Toronto, before that Denmark and before that Scotland. He is funny and humble and talented and incredibly wonderfully opinionated. There's a lot to look at on his site, but if you just want a read, check out his blog.

Carrie is this gentle caring creature with a wicked lockerroom/bathroom brand of humor. Carrie is the type that makes everyone feel comfortable, without even trying or without betraying herself. Carrie and I used to work together, but she has jumped ship to follow her dreams of being an actress. Her troupe will embark to europe soon for a summer tour. Talented, smart, pretty, and able to belly laugh for days (hey, she's a superhero!). That counts for a lot. You can catch her thoughts at Drama Queen. I miss her to the point of not really even being able to think about it. Good friends are hard to come by.

****************
Sixth song written! In 30 minutes! (Why am I writing like Fred Milton?! Hey!)

This one is called either "Get Right In" or "Everybody Knows" or "Storm Clouds Come," I haven't decided which yet. It's very dust-bowly, dry and dusty, god-lurvin' and a-storm's a-comin' type. I sang it to Ryan and Jen while they ate lunch. Dave leaned his head out a window to ask "O Sister Where Art Thou?"

Poor Dave and Shane, wallmates in Ye Ol' House o' the Co-Op, are subjected to my on-and-on-and-on guitar goings.

I just got my guitar back from Blue Note. The Scots guy who works there said, "this is an interesting guitar you have. How did you come about it?"

I was glad he thought it was interesting because I love my guitar. It's my second guitar, as well as the second one given to me. It has history, first with ShowBiz Nis, an old mate of Steve's, my scottish ex. Legend has it that Showbiz wrote many songs on it. Then it was Steve himself who wrote a million songs on it. He brought it to America. He let me keep it here.

It's a Levin. And the Scots guy at blue note said "this was the guitar to have when I was buskin' in London." More reason to love it. And love it I do, which is why I took it in: to get it patched up and put back together. It's a beater that is for sure.

It has the sweetest sound. But, since getting it back from Blue Note it sounds brassy or metalic... something that I'm having a hard time putting my finger on. I'll let Bret at work have a look at it and hopefully he'll give me some insight on how to bring the sweet sound back.

Meanwhile, my fingers have those satisfyingly purplishly-indented-guitar-string grooves happening. The tips are still quietly buzzing.

No comments: