Wednesday, September 04, 2002

the birthday that couldn't?

this year i thought i would do my birthday different. kind of slip off into the desert and wander amongst the saguaro and sandstone craggy hills, mom in tow. we'd meander and paint and draw and do yoga. visit my grandparents. see the sights. have a kind of slow, meandering birthday where it wouldn't matter if it was a special day or if there was cake or if people remembered, etc.

but all hell broke loose at work and created a non-vacation week for me. and now i will be here for my birthday. and i made a point of not really mentioning that it was my birthday. so now i think it will be this birthday non grata. and that wasn't really my goal at all.

something special. something ethereal. something slow simmering stunning. something adventurous. this has turned into meetings and timelines and pushing email.

meanwhile, it is raining.

i've never known it to rain here in september. and as i turned into the road that takes me to the office a couple drops hit my windshield. big drops. colorado-late-summer drops. it hasn't rained here since may and even that was meager.

and i thought, if it were to rain, well then, that might be the something. and it might be ethereal and a slow simmering stunning thing that might make my birthday perfect. so i'm holding my breath that it becomes a brilliant, late summer showery day tomorrow.

m.

No comments: