Tuesday, November 11, 2003

the book i want

somehow, through the gentle and light-hearted hands of serendipity, i just stumbled across an article of Yann Martel explaining how he wrote Life of Pi. this article moved me very much, because it is about three things i need right now: influence / inspiration / hard work. but more than that, i need a sense of the divine. and, as a buddhist, i am struggling with that: the magical, beautiful unexplainables that make up our world. yet, stumbling upon this article... and serendipity in general... aren't these clues, like little bits of divine dna?

powell's has a whole book of authors discussing how it was that their books came to be. i want this book.

meanwhile, life of pi. i keep this book at a distance. i don't know what to think of it. the way it was written appealled to me. the way that i was tricked in the end... it made me wonder... was i a foolish reader? am i that gullible? or how could the author be so crafty and tricky. and most of my friends didn't like it. some put it down immediately. one said it lost her in the preface. but it was the preface that grabbed me. it was the preface that made me keep reading.

(i think i need the courage of my convictions.)

it has been a movie marathon. friday: love actually. yesterday: elf. today: the station agent.

No comments: