Sunday, March 27, 2005

Santuario


Santuario, originally uploaded by reddirtrose.

Chimayo. While not a complete secret, it is a little known jewel in the American southwest. I love the desert. I love the high desert. I love catholic iconography. I love dusty dirt roads. I love burritos and the nuances of different chiles. I love adobe and luminarias and cactus that bloom at the most unlikely times. I love the desert at Christmas time... lonely and barren with little outbuildings swathed in twinkly Christmas lights. I love fast moving storm clouds and the smell of the earth as summer rain hits its surface. I love the subtle different silvery and olive greens against the light tan of the earth. I love feeling the air when you first walk outside. I love roads that go on to meet the horizon and the solitary cars that drive them. I love little towns that spring up like hopeful mirages. I love palo verde and ocatillo and saguaro and pommegrantes. I love family and cool beers on a late afternoon porch. I love reaching a town just after sundown and finding a friendly face at the little restaurant right there on the road.

» More shots of Chimayo

No comments: