Saturday, August 16, 2003

overheard

t.: what have you got planned for today?
m.: i'm getting my act together.
t.: today?
m.: well, i'm hopeful.
t.: yer a damned optimist.

one of my talents is that i am a sleeper. if i'm tired, i sleep and it doesn't necessarily have to be quiet or conducive. this comes in handy on cross country road trips or what have you. but last night there was a ruckus across the street. i vaguely remember hearing a fight and yelling... but it didn't quite wake me up. but a girl screaming "get aWAY from me!" several times was enough to shake me out of dreamland. but before i could call 911 or see even just see what was going on there was a fire engine and three cop cars. she cried and cried and cried for at least 30 minutes -- big gulping punctuating cries.

i have no idea what happened but i definitely couldn't sleep after that, though i tried. finally i surrendered to wakefulness and read. and now it is 6am. time to get up.

No comments: