Wednesday, June 30, 2004

well no wonder i was depressed...

I just took a stress test. It is a list of stressors where each stressor has a point score, depending on level of severity. It isn't all conclusive (doesn't have death of friend or death of multiple friends), but can still give you a good idea of where you are at. I scored almost 3.5 times higher than the "very high" score. Wow! What a year it was/is.

Mark the things you have experienced in the past 12 months:
  1. (95) Death of a child

  2. (93) Divorce

  3. (90) Death of a spouse

  4. (80) Death of parent

  5. (80) Spouse's or partner's betrayal of trust

  6. (80) New marraige

  7. (75) Job change over the age of 45

  8. (70) Conflict between you and your spouse

  9. (70) Conflict with boss where your job is threatened

  10. (65) Significant negative medical diagnosis

  11. (55) Change of home location

  12. (50) Retirement

  13. (50) Conflict between you and your teenager

  14. (50) Conflict between you and your parent

  15. (40) 40th, 50th, 60th, 75th or 80th birthday

  16. (35) Significant traumatic injury (include heart attack if appropriate)

  17. (35) Having to commit parent to assisted-care home or facility

  18. (30) Job change

  19. (30) Marriage of daughter

  20. (25) Chronic pain condition

  21. (25) Best friend's betrayal of trust

  22. (25) Last child leaving home

  23. (20) Purchase of a new car or house

  24. (20) Big family celebration or get together

  25. (10) Overly-demanding job responsibilities

Ready? Tally your score.
From the book:
The number in the parentheses indicates the average intensity of stress on a scale from 10 (low stress) to 95 (paralyzing stress).

If your score is between 0 and 30, you are under very little stress at present and very likely have good physical and mental health.

If your score ranges from 35 to 65, the stress in your life may begin to undermine your overall health.

A score above 65 [I scored 250 - emdot's note] indicates that you are undergoing significant stress and this may initiate disease-causing changes in your biochemistry. [!!! - emdot's note] You need support and must work toward acquiring some very specific tools of stress management.


So, you mean drinking's not the answer? [blink blink]

Coincidentally, although I love a glass of wine or a beer or two as much as the next person, about two months ago I had to take it out of my life. Seriously. And I am so glad I did. I've made a couple exceptions (most notably the planned drinking event which is Live Oak), but for the most part I have been stoked with my decision. It's not that it was a problem, but it's not that it was a solution, either. And with so much going on in my life I've been looking at ways to simplify. Not drinking was about the simplest thing to do.

The thing is, I've been digging it so much, I'm thinking of extending my time period. Does this make me a [using fingers to drawn into the air] square? I don't care. It's been a tough year and I'll take any help I can get.

No comments: