Sunday, October 16, 2005

currently reading: garlic and sapphires

Reading: books

I heard the former NYTimes food critic interviewed by Terry Gross on Fresh Air last year, talking about her latest book Garlic and Sapphires. And while I didn't look up the book then, it must have stayed with me because when I saw this book returned and sitting in a cart to be reshelved I snatched it up immediately.

I'm about halfway done and the chapters are a study of the sensuous -- what food looks like, smells like, tastes like, and feels like in the mouth. It makes me want to greatly rethink how I make my food choices and call up an exboyfriend who is quite the gourmand to go out for a fine meal.

Reading: email

In an email from a friend regarding a recent personal challenge I went through:
People have weird ideas about being tough and about bravery. But you can't be brave unless you're really scared, and you can't be tough unless you have something to overcome. That you managed as well as you did for as long as you did...well, brave and tough. There it is.
Words I will treasure for quite a long while.

No comments: