Monday, October 03, 2005

i love dr. john

And so should you. Tonight when I shoulda been putting myself to bed I decided to listen to a little Fresh Air (yes, I'm a bonafide NPR geek. and proud.). Specifically, the Fresh Air show from my birthday, cuz I realized I hadn't listened to it yet. And since my birthday was closely after Katrina became the name we shall not speak in the south, the show was all New Orleans for sixty beautiful minutes.

I say I love Dr. John, but it's not like I own CDs. It's not that I don't want to own CDs. Actually, I don't understand why I don't have his CDs. I will remedy this week. Anyway, I'm doing the tangent shuffle. Let me tell you why I love Dr. John.

In SLO County we have this thing called the Blues Festival which takes place every Memorial Day weekend (specifically, the Sunday before Memorial Day proper) in Avila Beach. It is fun. It is sunny. It is on the beach. There is booze. There is blues. And there is dancing.

The first Blues Festival I went to featured Dr. John as the headline act. And I couldn't sit down if I had willed my body with all my collective brain power. Dr. John rocked the house and I gotta be honest: the Blues Festival has never been as much for me since.

He's just a bad ass. Plain. Simple. Dr. John? Bad ass. And his music is perfect to dance to. Lopey. Jumpy. Mellow in hip moving groove. Carefree and passionate at the same time. Perfect for sunshine. Perfect for smoky bar time, too, I bet. Perfect in its weird voodoo perfection. And that sums up New Orleans too, doesn't it? Cuz NOLA is perfect in its weird voodoo perfection as well.

Listen to the Fresh Air interview and pronto so you will agree with me and fall in Dr. John love as well.

» Dr. John on Fresh Air

No comments: