Thursday, April 12, 2007

Leadership


king of the garden
Originally uploaded by emdot.
I can't wait to get my paws on the new Iacocca book, Where Have All the Leaders Gone? We (USA) really need a kick in the butt to what is going on around us. I've been hoping for a leader who could spearhead us moving into the right direction. I hope this book is part of a new American attitude.

Meanwhile, who's got it all wrong? Tom DeLay. Talk about needing a kick in the butt. A couple of weeks ago I heard him interviewed on NPR and something he said there has stuck in my craw leaving me with a bad taste and a real disappointment in the attitude of one of our national leaders.

When asked why he wouldn't take meetings with the Democrats DeLay said, "why would I want to meet with the enemy."

I seriously couldn't believe my ears.

We are in a sad state of affairs when our government leaders see people with differing view points as "the enemy."

But what really stuck in my mind is how spiritually bereft the comment is. DeLay is a born-again Christian. I guess I expect more love, respect, empathy, and compassion when somebody says they are a born-again Christian. Jesus taught love, my brothers, so get on board.

In Junior College I had a teacher lecture on Martin Buber one time. One time. And that one lecture has made a huge, indelible impression on me. I and thou. I and thou. I and thou.

Sometimes I think that's what's wrong with our country. We've become "us" and "them." Those guys. They did it. Them. Them. Them.

So often I think we really are all on the same side with the same concerns and basic human decency. But this "them" attitude keeps us afraid, isolated, and spiritually empty.

So to DeLay I want to send Iacocca's new book and a big wish for "I and thou."

1 comment:

Stephan said...

"Why would I want to meet with the enemy" of course describes the Republican leadership's (if you care to call it that) approach to pretty much any problem, from Cindy Sheehan to Patrick Fitzgerald to Kim Jong Il to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. More than just being un-Christian, it's likely going to lead us straight to World War III...