Friday, June 08, 2007

Kottke Gives Great Links

Yes, I love boingboing, just like all you other nerds out there. But sometimes boingboing gets too cumbersome, or too lolcats, or too unicornrainbowmakemagazine or what have you. Where as Kottke has fewer posts but it's more likely that I will find his subjects more interesting. YMMV.

Today's great link from kottke is How to hire the best people you've ever worked with by Marc Andreessen. I really, really agree with everything he said. Drive. Curiosity. And Ethics. Yes yes yes.

It made me think of my own life as well. Drive is something that can be really hit or miss for me, but one thing is for certain: if I am burned out then I have no drive. It's like the gas tank's empty, the transmission's lost its fluid, and the key won't turn. No drive.

So, important lesson to learn: FIX IT BEFORE YOU GET BURNED OUT, because in my experience, it can take a long time to get the drive back if you've burned out the engine.

Two jobs ago I was burned out to the point where I should've been up on blocks in somebody's front yard and it took a long time to get back from that. But I'm glad that I did. I'm glad I did. I'm glad I did. And I will never get myself there again. Amen.

2 comments:

Joy said...

I love reading Kottke.org for the same reason, too. He has quality links that I don't mind spending time to read! And that is one of the links I love from this week. Such a great post.

emdot said...

high five, joy! :) totally agree. ;)