Wednesday, March 24, 2004

The jewel can be brought out into the light at any time, and it will glow as brilliantly as if nothing had ever happened. — Pema Chodron

Bean mentioned a certain someone (oh, it was me) who was prone to rash periods of withholding, or adding, or trying, or whatever. This is true. My whole life can be explained with the phrase "intermitten bits of Lent." I'm not Catholic, but the idea of going forty days without something is incredibly appealing and is usually how I approach my life when I am going through a Project Mentality Phase.

As a Buddhist I've been given the teaching of "don't get suckered into Project Mentality" on more than one occasion. And as a 30-something American Female, I'm not quite sure I can be persuaded there is Any Other Way.

It's so bright. So shiny. So creamy. So satisfying. And is by far and away my runway towards Perfect Me.

As a Buddhist I've been given the teaching of "you are already your perfect you" on more that one occasion. And I will admit that I have nodded my head because cognitively and spiritually I can actual comprehend and understand and process that statement for at least 12 minutes. 12 minutes and 35 seconds. That is the record. (I timed it in my imagination).

The worst is when you (me, I mean) get to that 13th minute and think to yourself in a not so linear fashion that combining the Project Mentality with the Buddhism is a great and fabulous idea: 30 days to enlightenment! Eight easy steps to nirvana. 25 ways to perfection.

And I make fun now, but I am in the midst of one of my lent-inspired, Buddha-fueled American-neurosis-filled Projects. 108 days of living My Perfect Life, or what I deem to be my perfect life: yoga, meditation, working out, eating healthy, and writing. I'll let you know how I do.

Meanwhile. Last night was Yoga Day One and it was GREAT. There is nothing like the first hour after a yoga class when your entire spine is just sitting so perfectly upright on top of your hips.

Meanwhile. The quote above is not about any of this. It is about Bodhichitta. Bodhichitta being the jewel that we can bring out. What is bodhichitta? Bodhichitta is an awakened heart, that tender spot that is open and courageous that is within us at all times. Pema says, "Just as butter is inherent in milk and oil is inherent in a sesame seed, the soft spot of bodhichitta is inherent in you and me. It is equated, in part, with our ability to love. No matter how committed we are to unkindness, selfishness, or greed, the genuine heart of bodhichitta cannot be lost. It is here in all that lives, never marred and completely whole."

The jewel can be brought out into the light at any time, and it will glow as brilliantly as if nothing had ever happened.

And one more thing, my sister got married a week and a half ago in a very sweet Catholic church. Corinthians 13 was read and it was like I heard it with new ears and I was incredibly moved. Next time you hear it, instead of thinking of romantic love, think of love as an action. Suddenly the scripture I heard a million times came to life.

No comments: