Friday, March 19, 2004

rumors, for god's sake

The dryer was broken-ish, in need of a part, and in a bit of an appliance-part scavenger-hunt adventure, KB and I ended up in a David Lynchian supply parts store, on the corner of Hint of 1950s Lane and Ohmygodgetmeouttahere Blvd.

The younger guy there was making small talk with KB about our former place of employment. He says, "All the hours you guys worked sure made the guy who owns it filthy rich!"

And I said, "Hey, there's no guy who owns it" because it's a corporation and et cetera. "I guess it's just another rumor," he said with a shrug.

"Yeah, like the rumor the Jews are spreading...." said the heavy-set older guy working behind a counter, with a look of incredibility and smugness.

His wife, working behind the other counter and sporting a pretty elaborate crucifix joined in, "Did you hear that on the news today too?"

The man, seeing my and KB's confusion, rolled his eyes and with no subtle hint of smugness and overly obvious self-proclaimed authority, told us, "Yeah, the Jews are now claiming that Jesus was not the son of God!"

And it took ALL of EVERYTHING I had to not say "That's what makes Jews Jews and not Christians you big dorkbutt" with my own eyerolls for added emphasis. (I find "dorkbutt" to be a real catch phrase for open dialogue and symbiotic problem solving). "Why did he think that we were not Jewish?!" asked KB under her breath as we walked out to the car. "I dunno," I said and shook my head, even though we aren't. But still.

And you know, now I am the one with the look of incredibility and smugness. How can some people be so damned stupid?

I have to go back today and pick up my part and I'm not sure I could hold my tongue this time if the topic of the Rumor Mill of God's Chosen People is to come up again. Or maybe I'll add, "You know, they are also rumored to be God's chosen people!!" and say it with the extra eyerolls just so he can understand my entire sentence.

[aside] How is it that I have 300 days of sunshine a year and don't hang my clothes to dry and Canadians have 3 days of sunshine and yet they do hang theirs? This world is imbalanced and I'm on the heavy side of the seesaw.

No comments: