Friday, September 03, 2004

changing my mind midstream

There are two songs that can make me barf on the spot: Lady in Red by Chris de Berg (can barely type the title without feeling like I need to bend over a toilet bowl) and Centerfield by John Fogerty. Hate is not a strong enough word.

And so, I've always held John Fogerty at arm's length, knowing that some Credence was cool and all, but really: that clapping in Centerfield? I'm ready to cut off their hands and burn all the albums. I call for Jihad on all that clapping!

But today I have changed my mind. Not about that hateful song, but about John Fogerty. He won me over. Not by charm or new songs, but from an interview aired by Fresh Air. He just seems very real and sweet. And I got a little choked up at the end when he was talking about the song Who'll Stop the Rain. To have written something like that at such a young age... wow.

It does not explain the barfitude of Centerfield, but I'm willing to cast it a bit more to the side and pretend it never happened. Just keep it off my radio. (I'll help by not tuning into any classic stations).

Also, there's a good interview with Kris Kristoferson, who's one of the coolest cats in town.

» Fogerty and Kristoferson interviews [fresh air]

No comments: