Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Kiev 2004


Kiev 2004
Originally uploaded by emdot.
This morning I turned on the morning news first thing because I wanted to know what was happening in Kiev. To me, this is a very important story -- especially when compared to how the US has handled/responded to its last two elections.

And do you know that not ONE of the network shows were talking about it. Do you know what they were talking about? TRAVELING.

Traveling and all the people traveling. And hello, it's Thanksgiving and more Americans are traveling and blah blah blah blah... did we mention the traveling?

I was shocked. I still am I guess. To me this choice in reporting represented something that is wrong with our country: pandering to the lowest common denominator. Going for the easy. News as a jello mold.

But Kiev... THIS is the real deal: democracy in nonaction with people demanding something better. Like truth. Like real democracy. THIS is the people speaking up and being heard.

Being heard everywhere except in the "land of the free" where people are way more interested in what's going to happen as they sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic just like they do every year on this day.

No comments: