Sunday, May 09, 2004

hiccup

Last night Shane and I went to see the Hungarian movie Hukkle after a quick bite to eat at b.whiched, the new and very cute though yuppie, sandwich shop. He had two glasses of sangria and I had one glass of quite alcohol-free mango iced tea, yet Shane was the one who understood Hukkle, while I thought that it was some pastoral, non-verbal Slacker-like movie where people just happened to be dying.

It was a murder-mystery-whodunnit, it seems, but I swear to God I didn't get it until Shane said so on our walk home. My official excuse is that I couldn't see the forest in the trees. Hukkle is completely dialogue-less. It focuses on the beauty (or at least the watched detail) of the mundane, the taken-for-granted, the every day. It would make the lungs filling with air seem like a minor miracle or at least a collossal feat of great effort and magic. I was so engrossed with the blown-up nuances, the emphasized sounds of effort, that the bigger picture was a blurred jumble of background color and shape.

We initially went to see Touching the Void (hey — the adult film industry doesn't even need to come up with a clever title for their remake of this one). But it seemed so did a whole house full of other people. We were stuck in the second row and snuck out after the trailers to get our money back. Instead we were lured into a parallel theatre still showing its own trailers and we ducked in to watch the silent but deadly Hungarian movie.

if you blink you miss it

I started 2004 seeing someone and that was fun. I know I am this awful statistic of single-late-30-something female but if I am really honest and if you can sustain your cultural disbelief I will tell you what is true for me: life is good. I am surrounded by people I totally dig, fully respect, and love love love to spend my time with. My friendships with Shane and Dan sometimes just downright floor me. The drama in my life is really minimal while the fun and fullness is almost too much to bear (and maybe I'll address that later) (meanwhile I just knock on wood). But that's not my point. My NY's romance was short lived, three months, and it's funny how quickly life resumes its former shape. Shaney and I stopped into McCarthy's to see who was there and I was asked "oh, you're not at T's party, hmm?" and I just kind of chuckled and said, "I don't think I'm on that must-call list anymore." And that is fine. Maybe we are just like those little kid toys that you put into water and they expand 10x their size. You take them out of water and they presto-change-o into the original incarnation like nothing happened.

Or maybe we are changed forever. Who knows. Maybe this blog would be better if it were more like Hukkle: no words.


No comments: