Wednesday, May 19, 2004

wooden slo town cracker

woodencracker sees my san luis obispo. it's cool now, too, cuz we run into each other pretty regularly(usually he is having coffee and drinking it at an outside table). what i love about him, he constantly posts my familiar san luis. we all have our little pieces of slo that we identify with... cracker seems to often capture mine. latest is muzio's grocery which has the best sandwiches in slo town (and the most expensive).



my itunes play list

so i was going to post my "i believe" play list on iTunes, but i noticed that over half of my songs on the list aren't available on iTunes, so you wouldn't be able to download or preview or hear them for yourself. so instead, i'm just going to put them here.

seven months ago when i was going through some Heavy Shit, i had one week in particular that was the Shittiest. i was about to get laid off and i knew i was about to get laid off, but no one knew that i knew (how did i know? it was so obvious — these guys wear their layoffs on their sleeves). this is a pretty sucky place to be, but the good news is that you have extra days to pack up your desk and alert all your friends to begin writing to you at a different email address and et cetera. anyway, i was sad and scared and mad and just, really, at the end of my rope. frustrated. sad. scared. pissed. i ran through all of these emotions over and over and over.

this was after six months of my dad going through extensive chemotherapy and radiation, so emotionally i was... i don't want to say beaten... let's say exhausted. i was tired, emotionally.

so that week as i waited for the axe to fall (for while i knew the cut was coming i couldn't figure out what day it was coming), i would go home on my lunch hour and i would listen to my ipod. one play list in particular.

this morning after writing my earlier mini-rant i put on my ipod again, and without really thinking about it, i chose the play list that got me through that hard time. and then, without really thinking about it again, i found big fat heavy tears streaming down my cheeks.

not because i was sad... not at all. not because i am mad, cuz that's not really the issue either. instead it was, i guess, for the "human condition." we all go through these hard times. life is tender and painful and bright with cuts of joy and sorrow. for me, these songs really sum that up. but the bottom line is... "i believe."

i believe in me. i believe in you. i believe that love will prevail. i believe that we can all bounce back. i believe that little bursts of illumination, awakening, and enlightenment — these are happening throughout our days. and sometimes we are lucky enough to tap into them.

so on that note, here's my "i believe" song list (links to songs when i can find them):
  1. that's so amazing [michelle shocked]

  2. this is it (your soul) [hothouse flowers]

  3. more than this [peter gabriel]

  4. more love [dixie chicks]

  5. hard drive [evan dando]

  6. calico skies [paul mccartney]

  7. outside [blue water triplets]

  8. send me the sun [kimmie rhodes, et al]

  9. a minor incident [badly drawn boy]

  10. father and daughter [paul simon]

  11. rain [patty griffin]

  12. i will be your friend [guy davis]

No comments: