Monday, May 10, 2004

spyware begone

Okay folks, listen up. I don't know when my poor sweet little innocent computer got infected with a trojan, but it did and it sucks.

What is a trojan? A trojan is a secret application that is downloaded via another application. Either you think you downloaded X, nothing happens and the trojan (not application X) infiltrates your system OR you hit some evil web site that secrets the trojan onto your computer... either way, the trojan can be benign, but don't count on it. Usually the Trojan is planted as spyware -- it will spy on you: the sites you go to, the searches you do on Google. I'm sure they do much worse like get your usernames and passwords and et cetera. (Learn more).

What can you do about it? Chances are your current anti-virus protection apps are not enough. You need to install anti-spyware software, and maybe (as in my case) more than one application. I am using Spybot Search and Destroy and Hijack This. On top of all of this I am now using the Google Toolbar which doesn't allow popups, which is a very nice feature.

Meanwhile, not sure if you are infected? Some of the things I saw were strictly during my web surfing: first of all, popup mania. Grrrrr! Then, Google mahem. Whenever I would do a search on google, the second, third and fourth entry on every results page would be links to 2020search.com (the real evil doers that Bush is always talking about), defender.volez, and some other lowlife scumbag type of web hijacker. So infuriating. Gar!

Let me tell you, I have spent at least 10 hours over the past week fighting this thing. You don't need to do it little-by-little, like me: just take my advice.
  1. Get your Windows Updates

  2. Download Spybot Search and Destroy

  3. Disable popups (you could use the Google ToolBar)

  4. Download Hijack This (but get help to use it if you are not a really proficient user)

  5. Go to Spyware Warriors (this site is great!) They will help you through the Hijack this installation and usage. These guys are really nice and really knowledgeable. I don't know who they are, but I think I love them.


» What is a Trojan?
» Spybot Search and Destroy
» Hijack This
» Spyware Warriors
» about the coolwebsearch trojan/scumware

No comments: