Thursday, December 02, 2004

amos oz


amos oz
Originally uploaded by emdot.

Amos Oz

I had never heard of him before, despite the fact that he is one of Isreal's most well-known authors and recipient of several peace prizes. Amos Oz believes in separate states for both Israel and Palestine, which makes him a controversial character on both sides. And on that, I will say nothing because I'm not even close to being educated or experienced enough to comment.

But instead I'll tell you about his voice. Instead I'll hint at the way speaks, just answering questions in an interview: conviction and passion held together by spoken, off-the-cuff poetry.

Oz was interviewed this week by Terry Gross for Fresh Air. He talks about his new book which is a memoir of growing up in war-torn Israel, sheltered by parents whose hearts were broken by a Europe that didn't want them, only to have his own broken when his mother killed herself when he was only twelve years old.

I had to listen to the interview twice.

» listen to the interview
» read an excerpt


No comments: