Monday, December 27, 2004

Heimdahl


Heimdahl
Originally uploaded by Steffe.
jag lär mig svenska

I've decided to try to teach myself Swedish. I type this with one eye squinted shut, because trying to teach yourself a language is tough enough on its own. Trying to teach yourself a language that you never hear... now that's a challenge.

But I've got some help on my side. Sweet and terrific Swedish friends on Flickr. A package from Sweden that included Swedish being read aloud, a Swedish language CD, and some bands singing in Swedish (tack så mycket, Anders). And Swedish language tapes with books from my mom.

With all that you might think that learning it wouldn't be so tough. And you would be right if I wasn't talking about Swedish. Their grammar? Wacky. Their sounds? Wackier. Their vowels? Their vowels spilleth over. Vowels everywhere. They are vowel crazy. And these are vowels, believe me, that you have never heard before. Unless, of course, you live in Sweden.

No comments: