Friday, December 17, 2004

IMG_0330


see the image at flickr
Originally uploaded by hexod.us.
seek first to understand, then to be understood

In the wake that was the bloodbath of the Democratic Party on November 2, 2004, I somehow feel more empowered as a Liberal than ever before.

My friends all respond in their own ways... one is quite politically active and setting up protests; another has been inspired to start a blog; quite a few send out email alerts about the conservative party; and the rest all started to drink prolifically to numb the pain.

Me? I feel for myself, before I do any protesting or create any real "action," it's time for me personally to truly try to understand where the conservatives are coming from. Look -- I put money on it that these people aren't the antichrist posing in christian bodies (much as I would love to cling to that... and okay, might believe that with 1% of my body).... My hunch is that they want a life filled with love and happiness just as much as I do... We just express that differently and/or are "alarmed" by different things that we see to jeopordize our lifestyles.

So it's time to understand... what is motivating them? What is it that they want -- truly want -- not what the sound bytes say they want... not what some pundit says they want... (But I'm interested in the pundits, too.) Really, I'll just be an equal opportunity listener. I want to understand.

So, today I listened to a Fresh Air interview with Richard Viguerie that took place on Wednesday.

According to the Fresh Air web site, Vigeurie "is considered the "funding father" of the conservative movement. In the 1970s and 80s he pioneered direct mail political fundraising. He is a co-author of America's Right Turn: How Conservatives Used New and Alternative Media to Take Power. He now heads the organization American Target Advertising Inc."

I got a lot out of this interview; quite a bit that surprised me. For instance, this guy had no problem acknowledging (with enthusiasm) that he exploits fear in gathering support for his causes. I also got a better idea about what he means when he says "liberal media."

I will admit, in the back of my head I still see the graph that's been circling around that compares a state's IQ average with their presidential vote (all the smarties went w/ Kerry). But was equally impressed with his point that Liberal agendas are hard to get across on radio because it is nuanced.

EXACTLY. I agree. There was more, it was all good. Cuz learning about where others are coming from is always good.

» Fresh Air interview with Richard Viguerie

No comments: