Thursday, May 26, 2005

Peek a Boo


Peek a Boo
Originally uploaded by jfett.
Today I caught up on a bunch of blogs. It used to be, until Flickr became my online drug of choice, that I had a daily ritual of coffee sipping and morning blog reading. But over the last few months I kind of lost touch with some of these daily visits and it's so nice to go back and see that they've been there all along. Trudging through, maintaining their own daily meandering streamies.

Today I read this on Wish Jar Journals:
"Limitation is what differentiates a flood from a lake. In the making of things, limitations allow you to choose from something rather than everything." — Corita Kent
I really relate to that.

I'm a personality who needs extra limits and I hate to admit it. I hate to admit it with a passion. I find it embarrassing. But the truth is, is that I am a highly permissive person. I can make my mind up to do one thing and ten bucks says that in five minutes you can get me to change my mind and off I'll be going in a completely different direction. I am very maleable. This causes problems when it comes to goals or projects.

I have to watch it cuz I could very easily be one of those people who whittles away years and years with the best intentions. More options just make me feel more overwhelmed. I need a task master. I need a weeder outer. And I really really wish that I could be those things for myself.

Maybe I can.

Years ago when I was a vegetarian (and yes, I know, I'm getting really rambly here), people thought I stopped eating meat for ethical reasons; for health reasons; or because everybody was doing it.

No. I did it because I had too many options on a menu. I could never decide. I couldn't decide what to order. I couldn't decide what to make. I couldn't decide what to get at the grocery store. So I became a vegetarian and my life got a whole lot easier.

I need to do something similar these days, tho not pertaining to food. Pertaining more to life in general. Question is, how to pare down without becoming miserly. How to trim without becoming stringent. How to limit without becoming oppressive?

Maybe I should just sit instead and let it work itself out. Meditation is the best medicine. I'm thinking too much.

No comments: