Wednesday, October 20, 2004

alrighty then

I got a nice little note from someone in London saying that my site is a googlewhack: the one and only site that comes up when you go to Google with "snorkeling" and "guttersnipe." This is what I love: one, that my site came up; two, that someone was crazy enough to put in snorkeling guttersnipe into google to see what would come up. Crazy frickin Brits.

The weather's been crazy, too. Blustery, stormy – we're talking trees crashing into roofs and awnings, we're talking someone trapped inside their car, we're talking about part-time flooding and my street — it's completely carpetted with pineneedles. All this weather makes an interesting backdrop for personal scatteredness and thought flooding and out of control limbs and the like. Temporary chaos and it's time to get my bearings and look at a map and figure out, where'm I headed anyway?

What I love about reading a good book: it makes you want to write. Reading someone else's brilliant thoughts or beautiful metaphors or clever juxtapositioning leaves my mind brimming. I'm like the high school athlete who wants to try harder after watching the olympics. ;)

I remember feeling this way after reading Augusten Burroughs "Dry." (And I recommended this book to a friend/acquaintance who forgot I recommended it to her and a year later offhandedly confessed how much she hated him and his book and his styles and his themes and… waaaaahhhhh.).

Recently Girlfriend in a Coma came into my little paws. And while, yes, of course, I loved the writing… it was the themes that suckerpunched me. Things I know about up close and personal: arrested development ("that is such your word," Dan said with the accessorized eye roll), life kind of stopping and yet still going on while you wait for someone for years (tho mine was not romantic) and then how life stumbles and lurches forward afterward, and then the theme of finally learning the truth of love and rightness and the healing of the soul; the healing of the heart. That stuff KILLS me. Combine this with similarities to Magnolia, Donnie Darko, and The Lovely Bones…. It was just a meant-to-be-read, for me.

And I wonder, why do I have to be so personal about it all? Why can't I just say, yeah, that book was great. Loved it. Next?

September was so awful and yet amazing. Awful: my own version of start stop start stop and doubting and nothing happening. Amazing: serenfuckingdipity and all these loose ends coming to a really beautiful sweet hug goodbye and all kinds of gentle reminders. This is all just personal pseudo psychological crap, so click to your next blog if this isn't what you are looking for. But I feel compelled to write here… Sometimes it is easier to be in a time like September than a time like October when it is time to go forward and actually do and/or change and/or act on these finally now closed chapters, these finally learned lessons, these finally opened new doorways.

No comments: