Wednesday, October 27, 2004

feeling the brotherly love

If you believe that the Liberal Media is a vast conspiracy out to stretch the facts and lead the nation astray, well I think you are looking for excuses to not challenge your own beliefs and concepts.

Pennsylvania is one of the swing states, one of the states that will determine who our next president will be. The Philadelphia Inquirer is supporting John Kerry. In doing so they are printing 21 articles -- one a day -- each expressing a different reason that you should vote for John Kerry, too.

In addition, the Inquirer is publishing an opposing view point to every one of their articles. The opposing viewpoint will run next to the opinion piece and all are written by experts for that subject.

God love the Philadelphia Inquirer. Read the 21 Reasons here.

tidbits

The last 24 hours have been pretty great. First of all, really nice dinner with Tom last night. Fun time and good convos... everything from inspiring some kid to be passionate about math (go Tom) to strategies to support my attempt to wean myself from my current computer addiction (that worked really well so far).

This morning is nothing short of extraordinary. A year ago today all of California was ablaze -- the whole friggin state. How many houses burned down? How many hundreds of thousands of acres burnt to a crisp? Too many. But this year our rains came a month early -- more yesterday even. And today, I drove Highway 1 to work (highly recommended, if you can keep your road rage in check with all the Cuesta students driving slow in the fast lane so they can make that left hand turn in five miles) and was treated to already greening hills, vast beautiful blue fucking brilliant sky, puffy white clouds and an amazing high, glassy tide. I took pictures. Film at 11.

Oh, oh. And Beau Jocque on my car stereo. I love Beau Jocque. Today's soundtrack was Coming In and Corn Bread. And I got to thinking about how Beau Jocque died -- decades too early. Which made me think of Mark Sandman of Morphine who died decades too early. Which made me think of both of these bands -- Morphine and The Zydeco Hi-Rollers that I saw multiple times in New Orleans and how New Orleans is the best place to see any live music anywhere. ...

Good thing the beautiful sky was there to distract me.

No comments: