Thursday, October 14, 2004

i love melissa

My friend Melissa's been traveling for the last three (and a half?) months — all over the world, she has jumped from one continent to another. Instead of doing a streamlined, meandering trip, Melissa has been spending three to four weeks at a time in one beautiful location and then moving to a completely unrelated yet equally beautiful other location. For example, I think she jumped from Guatamala/Central America to Thailand (and asst countries)/Asia, then India/(does one call out subcontinents?) and then Europe and etc. She sends out these rich, meaty email describing exotic locales and friendly people and makes it sound dreamy and romantic. Truly, she should be a travel writer. Now she's in Spain and has this to say:
We´ve had three unsuccessful pickpocket attempts in the last week alone, which provokes me to anger rather than any other emotion. Here in Spain, the people that have tried to steal from us are perfectly suitable looking people (well, one of the guys did look a little crazed in the head) with all of their limbs and clothes on all of their body parts. And I think about all of the people in India who were truly starving and missing an arm and wearing torn rags for clothes and I'm just pissed that people here would think it was okay to just sneak up beside us and try to unzip our bag. Shannon reminds me that there are plenty of pickpockets in the U.S., too, but I guess I'm not such a target there so I don´t think of it. If the locks don't keep these petty thieves away, my foul language is sure to.

No comments: