Thursday, August 05, 2004

blogschneider

jb and peanut, bend front porch

Have I pimped Johnny's blog? I can't remember. [Emdot scrolls south and sees she's talked of pimping, but the actually pimpage did not happen.].

I like JB's blog. Number one, I've known Johnny for probably 10 years or more and never woulda took him for a blogger. And two, he's got a slippery, vagrant way with words that fills out his form. Not really too sure how to explain. 'Cept, (and this will only make sense to me as the rest of all y'all weren't there for this story), it reminds me of two old friends of mine who used to talk in this slippery vagrant speak that was a type of combination surf poetry and purring and kicking a can. JB woulda been friends with them for sure.

reconnections

scottmathis

Meanwhile, I've reconnected with other friends lately, too. My old pal Scott M.... Okay here's a story.

When I was 17 I was slightly one-foot out of the "control" boundaries. My mom and I were having major power struggles, and that power struggle was basically centered around when I should come home at night (and my question was "if at all" as partying with my friends seemed way more important than any familial obligation. Truthfully, I was wretched and awful. Perhaps all 17 year olds should be stopped and/or held up in a closet until their 18th birthday, but I digress.). I was a terror at home, but a kitten with my friends.

The guys I hung out with were this terrific combination of heart of gold and trying their hardest to be the baddest boys that my little sleepy oceanic bay town could muster. But they looked bad in my eyes, and when you are 17 that is the highest of compliments.

Two brothers, Aaron and Scott had what every 17 year old wants: their own house. Home of the Squidly Squadron (what they called themselves), it was the base of all of our loungings about and dreams of what it would be like to someday actually turn 21.

One day, I can't even remember what it was I did, but my mom had finally had enough and kicked my butt out of the house. That was it. I was done. No more free rides. It was time for me to figure things out on my own. I have a feeling that she thought I would find out how hard it was to find a place to live, not to mention pay rent and be the adult I so badly wanted to play on TV.

But Scott said, "move in here" within about 5 hours of my mom's edic. Move in?! At the headquarters?! No parents?! Wildness?! Partying?! What could be better than that?

And that is how it came to be that my mom immediately recalled her eviction and forbade me from moving out and then I turned 18 and we became great friends and all power struggles ceased.

Anyway, that wasn't such a great story after all. But, I reconnected with Scott and it is fun to see where people are now in their lives. How they've changed. How they've stayed the same. More than anything, though, I think I just get the proverbially warm fuzzy seeing how people I've cared about so much in my formative years have made good in their lives. That they smile a lot and are surrounded by great friends who cherish them.

What more could we want?

No comments: