Friday, August 06, 2004

le peek neek

One of my favorite sites is Keri Smith's Wish Jar Journal.

One of her lasts posts was about encouraging creativity in children and how Charles Eames suggested a simple thing to do is to involve a child in every aspect of planning a picnic — all the intricacies.

Then Keri invited all of her readers to create a picnic (check out her encouragement).

So, that's what I'm doing. I'm having a beach picnic one night after work. Probably on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. Have everyone come and bring a dish and we'll eat outside on the sand and watch the sun go down. I may ask everyone to either memorize a poem to read to the bunch or sing a song or do a monologue or a skit. :) That's what people like: to be put on the spot at a picnic! Well it won't be mandatory.

Anyway... I'd just like to encourage all y'all to do the same.

---

About the reading a poem thing. When I was in Scotland I was lucky enough to be there for Burns Night: a yearly tradition in honor of "Rabby" Burns, where there is a huge feast and everyone memorizes their favorite Burns poem and reads it to the group. There's a lot of toasting and cheering and drinking and back slapping. It is a lot of fun.

---

Tomorrow is my dad's 60th birthday and his one year anniversary for completing cancer treatment. I'm heading down to see him. AND my brother is in town ("town" being California, which is much closer than Halifax.).

No comments: