Thursday, November 02, 2006

ooooooh


ooooooh, originally uploaded by emdot.

here's the deal



I don't really see myself as a person who gets sick easily. In fact, I feel pretty hearty. I feel pretty "bring it on suckahs cuz I'm not going to catch your lame virus; your silly bacteria."

But, since working at the university, I've kind of gotten sick a lot. Or it feels like it. Only one really knock-me-down-can't-get up sickness, but quite a few of little other ones that just leave me either exhausted or singularly keeping the Kleenex brand in the black.

Today is one of those days. And it really started yesterday with the chills and then being hot hot hot but cold at the same time (how does that happen?). And today it feels like there may be a tiny furnace a-lighting in my lungs. No. No, I say. No. I don't want to be sick. I have things to do.

*****

When I was self-employed for two years I did not get sick once. Not once. In hindsight I chalk that up to not working full time (plenty of time to rest, plenty of time to be outside and get fresh air), not being in a poorly ventilated office, not working with a lot of other people who were also getting sick.

The beauty of my current work sitch is that there is a huge open window and three fans that keep things well-ventilated. BUT there are thousands of students and thousands of staff and faculty and only so many elevator buttons that are being pushed by all of them.

Note to self: wash hands more often.

No comments: